If you are interested in how to become a 911 dispatcher in South Carolina or a 911 operator in South Carolina, we have some helpful information for you.
An average dispatcher in South Carolina can make annual wages of close to $31,000. There are some areas in the state of South Carolina that see higher salaries; for instance, 911 dispatchers located in Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill NC/SC area make approximately $34,890.
South Carolina 911 Operator Education
911 dispatcher companies throughout South Carolina require that candidates have a high school diploma. We recommend that you strongly consider pursuing a Bachelor’s degree for the purpose of placing you in a good position for supervisory or management occupations. Many 911 dispatcher companies in South Carolina would like to interview candidates with the following degrees:
- Criminal Justice
- Business Administration
- Public Management
- Emergency Management
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
South Carolina 911 Dispatcher Certification
Also, 911 dispatchers in South Carolina usually must become certified in Emergency Medical Dispatch (EMD), in the minimum. Additional certification is through NENA (National Emergency Number Association): Emergency Number Professional certification (ENP).
- EMD Certification – This certificate is granted by the IAED: International Academies of Emergency Dispatch. This process involves a three-day class and passing a 50-question certification exam, achieving a score of a minimum of 80 percent. Nominees must complete 24 continuing education hours to keep certification. Tests are provided at Hilton Head Island, South Carolina and Priority Dispatch facilities in Greenville.
- NENA ENP Certification – This certification requires a minimum of 3 years of expertise in Emergency Communications. Also, nominees need to have at least one of the following: Associate’s degree, Bachelor’s degree, or graduate degree (points are given by NENA for each and will count towards certification qualifications). Service and professional development contribute to certification points. Certification examinations are provided four times per year at PSI Evaluation Centers in Winnsboro, Beaufort, Columbia, Charleston, Greenville, Conway, Mount Pleasant and Myrtle Beach.
Discover 911 dispatcher programs in South Carolina that are a match for you!
Top 911 Dispatcher Employers in South Carolina
Some of South Carolina’s leading companies that employ 911 dispatchers are:
- South Carolina State Emergency Operations Center – West Columbia
- South Carolina Department of Public Safety – Blythewood
- Charleston County Consolidated 911 Center – Charleston
- Beaufort County 911 Dispatch – Beaufort
- Greenville Health System – Greenville
- Dorchester County Emergency Medical Services – Summerville
South Carolina 911 Dispatcher Salary
The men and women who serve the state of South Carolina as 911 dispatchers are rewarded greatly for their contributions to the community. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average 911 operator in the state takes home $30,760 per year.
911 Dispatcher Programs and Schools in South Carolina
(It’s fast and free!)
Choose your area of study and receive free information about programs you are interested in. 911 dispatchers can benefit greatly from degrees in public safety, emergency management, homeland security, and criminal justice. Request information from multiple programs to make an informed decision on the best program and educational opportunity for you!