If you are looking for how to become a 911 dispatcher in Missouri or a 911 operator in Missouri, we have compiled some important information for you.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
There are surprisingly high numbers of criminal activity and natural disasters that hit the residents of Missouri. Well-trained 911 dispatchers are essential to making sure that people remain safe and secure throughout the state.
Missouri 911 Operator Education
When choosing to become a 911 dispatcher, having a college degree will demonstrate a strong commitment to the role and the skills needed to effectively deal with all the challenges of the job.
There are many universities in Missouri that have viable choices for relevant degree programs:
- Bachelor degree in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor degree in Crisis Management
- Bachelor degree in Psychology
- Bachelor degree in Communications
The following skills will greatly benefit a dispatcher in Missouri:
- Powerful Communicator: Much of the dispatcher job involves being able to effectively communicate with a wide range of people.
- Proven leader: It’s important to confidently direct people through challenging situations.
- Multitasking: Being able to handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously is important.
- Bilingual: Being able to speak two languages enhances the likelihood of helping more callers.
Largest 911 Dispatch Companies in Missouri
The following represent some of the leading cities and departments in Missouri for hiring 911 dispatchers:
- Kansas City Police Department: the city with the biggest population of people in the state
- St. Louis Police Department: the city with the second largest population in the state
- Springfield Police Department: the city with the third largest population in Missouri
Important 911 Organizations in Missouri
It is a great idea to become familiar with the following organizations:
- The Missouri NENA works on maintaining standardization of services.
- The National Emergency Number Association works on uniformity of 911 services.
- The International Academies of Emergency Dispatch works “universal dispatch services.”
Missouri 911 Dispatcher Salary
People who serve their communities as 911 operators are rewarded well for the position. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average 911 counselor in the state of Missouri earns $33,780 per year.
911 Dispatcher Programs and Schools in Missouri
(It’s fast and free!)
Choose your area of study and receive free information about programs you are interested in. 911 dispatchers can benefit greatly from degrees in public safety, emergency management, homeland security, and criminal justice. Request information from multiple programs to make an informed decision on the best program and educational opportunity for you!