If you are looking for how to become a 911 dispatcher in Mississippi, or a 911 operator in Mississippi, we have compiled some important information for you.
Becoming a 911 Dispatcher in Mississippi needs the appropriate set of training and academic requirements to do the work nicely.
To be able to maintain its citizens secure and safe, law enforcement in Mississippi relies on prompt answers by 911 emergency services.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Mississippi 911 Operator Education
A college degree will usually make a 911 dispatcher candidate more competitive, and qualified, in the job market. Mississippi schools and universities provide various degree programs that prove relevant to the 911 dispatch occupation:
- Communications – Develop techniques for handling a wide range of communications tasks.
- Pre-law Studies – Develop important logical thinking and procedural skills.
- Pre-Med Studies – Develop familiarity with physiological and general medical terms.
Mississippi 911 Dispatcher Requirements
Common requirements (among different municipalities) include the following:
- Must be at least 21-years-old
- Must have at least a high school diploma or GED
- Must have the ability to work effectively in high stress environments
- Problem solving abilities are essential
- After being trained, new hires work on a 1 year probation status
Leading Employers of 911 Dispatchers in Mississippi
- Jackson Police Department – the largest city in Mississippi.
- Gulfport Police Department – the second largest city in Mississippi.
- Southaven Police Department – the third largest city in Mississippi.
Important 911 Organizations in Mississippi
The Mississippi E-911 Coordinators Association: strengthening Mississippi’s emergency response efforts to ensure safety for all.
The NENA works in precisely the same fashion as the Mississippi E-911 Association, but on a bigger range which deals with the whole country.
The International Academies of Emergency Dispatch handles standardization of the E-911 on a multinational level.
Mississippi 911 Dispatcher Salary
Those who work in the state of Mississippi as 911 operators are rewarded well for their service. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average 911 dispatcher in the state earns $25,230 per year.
911 Dispatcher Programs and Schools in Mississippi
(It’s fast and free!)
Choose your area of study and receive free information about programs you are interested in. 911 dispatchers can benefit greatly from degrees in public safety, emergency management, homeland security, and criminal justice. Request information from multiple programs to make an informed decision on the best program and educational opportunity for you!