Before becoming a 911 Dispatcher in Connecticut you must meet the state requirements and also possess the proper education and training that is requested.
Connecticut 911 Dispatcher Training
Within the first year of their employment, Connecticut 911 operators are required to complete training in order to become a State of Connecticut Certified Telecommunicator. The process includes:
- Passing two on-line classes sponsored by the Federal Emergency Management Association (FEMA):
- NIMS 100 – Intro to Incident Command System
- NIMS 700 – Knowledge Training- National Incident Management System
- Passing a Connecticut-approved telecommunicator training program.
- Seven courses
- Three days in lenght from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Conducted in the Connecticut Police Academy in Meriden
- Passing the state certification test with a minimum score of 70/100.
- Test is administered in Meriden, at the conclusion of the state training curriculum
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Once the evaluation is passed by the 911 dispatcher, they are going to be certified as an EMD.
911 Gear Training is typically included in the conclusion of training for 911 dispatchers in Connecticut and will be conducted by the individual’s employer.
Connecticut 911 Operator Education
Those looking to start a career as a 911 dispatcher will need to have at least a high school diploma or it’s equivalent, although it is more favorable for candidates to have a college degree in a major that is closely linked to the field. By obtaining a college education, prospective dispatchers will be equipped with the problem solving and critical thinking abilities that will prove useful while on the job. Some popular majors among applicants include:
- Criminal Justice
- Emergency Telecommunications
- Public Administration
- Emergency Management
- Public Safety Telecommunications
Discover 911 dispatcher programs in Connecticut that are a match for you!
Connecticut 911 Dispatcher Employment Choices
These are some of Connecticut’s biggest companies for 911 dispatchers:
- Milford Professional Telecommunicators
- Stamford Government Center in the Stamford Police Department
- City of New Haven Office of Emergency Management
- Bridgeport Public Safety Communications 911 Center
Connecticut 911 Dispatcher Salary
Those who are employed as 911 dispatchers earn a fantastic living for the service that they provide to their communities. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, a general emergency dispatcher in the state of Connecticut earns $50,490 per year.
911 Dispatcher Programs and Schools in Connecticut
(It’s fast and free!)
Choose your area of study and receive free information about programs you are interested in. 911 dispatchers can benefit greatly from degrees in public safety, emergency management, homeland security, and criminal justice. Request information from multiple programs to make an informed decision on the best program and educational opportunity for you!