In the state of Alabama, aspiring 911 operators will need to possess the proper amount of training an education in order to gain employment.
One interesting fact about Alabama is that the first 911 phone call was placed in the state after the creation of the world emergency services in 1968.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Crisis Dispatcher Educational Alternatives
911 dispatchers operate best when they’ve the following abilities:
- Empathy: A 911 dispatcher must care about the situation being presented to them and be able to care about those that they are helping, realizing the results if they do not.
- Respect/understanding for the law as well as workplace guidelines: 911 agents must regularly give guidance over the telephone, which can be perceived by the caller as legal advice. An extremely qualified 911 dispatcher must be prepared to supply valid information on a consistent basis., following guidelines as they are ordered.
- Effective communication: Individuals calling 911 are going to be a little distraught from what ever situation they are calling about. For this reason, Alabama 911 operators are going to need to be able to speak clearly and communicate instructions effectively.
- Fast thinkers: The operator will need to speak with the caller, assess the situation, and give instructions all while dispatching the proper authorities. This is why 911 operators need to be able to think in a speedy manner that allows them to help people as quickly as possible.
When it comes to gaining employment as a 911 dispatcher in Alabama, the best way to is through a college education.
Listed below are a degree programs that will suite a 911 dispatch representative, or dispatcher well:
- Bachelor’s in Psychology
- Bachelor’s in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor’s in Communications
- Associate’s Degree in Disaster Management
- Bachelor’s in Information Systems
911 Dispatcher Alabama Organizations
911 operators looking for employment can gain a position through one of the state law enforcement departments such as:
- Huntsville Police Department
- Montgomery Police Department
- Mobile Police Department
- Birmingham Police Department
Depending on where you work, the requirements or duties of the position may be a little different, in most cases operators will need to have:
- 6 months conducting and obtaining radio transmissions
- Openness, to work holidays, weekends, night shifts and overtime.
- Power to understand processes and NCIC codes
- Capability to master geography of the authority
- Complete a drug test
There are several local, national, and international organizations which have helped to set high standards for 9-1-1 operators, they are:
Alabama NENA – Working to establish standards and raise the potency of emergency dispatch in the state of Alabama.
International Academies of Emergency Dispatch.-Working to establish international standards associated with crisis calls.
National Emergency Number Association – Working to establish standards in the 9-1%11-1 crisis number field on a national level.
Those who work as 911 dispatchers in the state of Alabama make a solid living for the services they provide. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average 911 dispatcher in the state of Alabama earns a median salary of $32,680 per year.
Schooling Information for 911 Dispatchers in Alabama
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor
- Criminal Justice B.S.
- Criminal Justice, MA
- Homeland Security, MA
- Criminal Justice, BA
- Homeland Security, BA
- Homeland Security, AA
- Criminal Justice, AA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- MS - Cybersecurity
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – Public Administration
- Online Teaching in Higher Education
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) - Homeland Security
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Emergency Management
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Global Leadership
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Law and Public Policy
- PhD in Criminal Justice - Public Management and Leadership
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- MBA - Criminal Justice
- MBA - Homeland Security
- B.S. Criminal Justice
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Cybersecurity
- B.S. International Relations and Security - Global Security
- A.S. Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Information Assurance
- MS in Criminology
- BS in Criminology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance and Cyber Security
- Master of Science in Criminology - Cybercrime and Terrorism Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Human Behavior Focus
- Master of Science in Criminology - Leadership Focus
- Master of Science in Information Assurance - Cybersecurity Specialization
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- MS in Computer Science - Cyber Security
- BS in Cybersecurity - Information Assurance
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Masters in Financial Crime and Compliance Management
- MBA Economic Crime and Fraud Management
- MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- MS Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
- Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice - Cyber Criminology and Policy
- Computer Forensics Certificate
- Cyber Crime and Fraud Investigation Certificate
- Cyber Network Defense Certificate
- Cyber Operations Certificate
- Cyber Policy Certificate
- Cybersecurity Technologies Certificate
- Financial Crime and Compliance Operations Certificate
- Financial Crime Investigation Certificate
- Master of Professional Studies in Cyber Policy and Risk Analysis
- MBA - Cyber Policy
- MBA - Cybersecurity
- Monitoring, Surveillance, and Intelligence Operations Certificate
- MS in Cybersecurity - Electronic Crime
- MS in Cybersecurity - Malware Analysis
- MS in Data Science: Cybersecurity
- MS in Data Science: Financial Crime
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Financial Investigation
- Online Bachelor of Science in Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation - Fraud Prevention and Detection
- Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity
- BS in Criminal Justice - General
- BS in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security
- BS in Criminal Justice - Legal Issues in Criminal Justice
- BS in Criminal Justice - Public Policy and Leadership
- BS in Criminal Justice - White Collar Crime
- BS - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- Master - Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
- CTU - Criminal Forensics